The Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association (CCBA) of San Diego is a nonprofit organization with a mission of providing charitable, educational, and benevolent activities to preserve and promote Chinese culture and traditions.The CCBA offers three scholarships annually:
- The Roger Lee Memorial Scholarship commemorates Roger Lee, a long-time member of the CCBA-SD Board of Directors, by recognizing a student who embodies the spirit of volunteerism and the devotion to service for others.
- The Dennis Avery Memorial Scholarship, offered in honor of philanthropist and supporter of CCBA-SD Dennis Avery, provides financial assistance to a student who exemplifies perseverance and the commitment to educational success despite personal, financial hardship.
- The Rollie Quon Memorial Scholarship commemorates Yick Ng “Rollie” Quon, a former manager of the Lucky Lion Dance Troupe and long-time member of the CCBA-SD Board of Directors, by acknowledging a student’s contribution to the Lucky Lion Dancers. The applicant shall be an active member of CCBA’s Lucky Lion Dance Troupe with a minimum of 75% performance attendance during a 24-month membership. The term of activity shall be confirmed by the Troupe leader.
The information below reflects the 2019 Scholarship information. The deadline to apply is March 15, 2019.
Program Overview and Qualifications:
- The amount of the scholarship may be up to $1,500.
- Only one of the above scholarships may be awarded to any one person.
- The deadline to apply is March 15, 2019, and winners will be notified on or about April 15, 2019.
- The applicant must have lived in San Diego County for a minimum of 12 consecutive months.
- Applicant shall have immediate plans to enter a 2-yr college or 4-yr university in the same year of high school graduation.
- Applicant must be able to submit a copy of his/her HS transcript and two letters of recommendation.
- Complete the Online Application Form in its entirety. Incompletely application may be disqualified.
- Email a copy of your official high school transcript and two (2) recommendation letters to scholarships [at] ccbasd.org. Recommendation letters should be from a teacher, school counselor, principal, mentor or employer indicating why you deserve the scholarship. Include the name of the contact person along with his/her phone number/email for verification of the information.
- Online application, transcript and letters of recommendation must be received by March 15, 2019.